Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pivotal Moments in my Childhood

5) THE HARRY POTTER MOVIES CAME OUT
I can hardly remember when the first movie came out, I can barely even remember seeing it for the first time (lame, I know). Same with the second one. The first one I have a relatively clear memory about is the third one, I actually remember seeing that one, but there wasn't anything too special about that experience. I'm sure there was a lot of hype back when the first movie was first announced (of course there was), but I just remember when the last two movies were coming out (the last book split into two parts). Holy cow, so much hype! Potterheads took over my other blog temporarily when the last movie came out.

4) DUMBLEDORE DIED
Goodnightly! Possibly one of the saddest moments of my existence! I got the 6th book shortly before my family and I headed up to Utah... or Idaho? for a Christensen family reunion. I read it during the entire car ride and spent most of my time reading it while we were up there. I can actually remember the exact moment when I read Dumbledore's death. Luckily I was alone, because I was probably pulling some weird faces that would have worried some people. I was upstairs in the Dearden's home (so it must have been Utah!) on my "bed" in the middle of the day, I'm not sure where everyone was. I was very intrigued and weirded/freaked-out by the horcrux experience that I had just read, and then Snape freakin' kills Dumbledore! Oh my freakin' camels on horses! Of all the grrr! I was shocked, then devastated, then furious, then unable to read through my tears. I had to wait forever to talk about it with someone though because NO ONE had finished it! I was like "why do you people read so slow!?!??"

3) KIM POSSIBLE AND RON STOPPABLE GOT TOGETHER
I remember watching the latest Disneychannel original movie back in like 6th or 7th grade, Kim Possible: So the Drama, thinking it was a pretty good movie, even better than the last Kim Possible movie they made, then all of a sudden, it's the end, at the prom, and Kim and Ron are dancing together and they kiss! I was just like, "Whoa! No wait, what?". Then I had rewind and watch again to fully compute, then I was like, "Ahhhhhhhhhhhh! OMGOMGOMG! 8DDD". And the next day my friends and I were flipping out over it at school. Kim Possible was one of the most popular shows back in the day, practically everybody watched it and just that Kim and Ron had been best friends forever and then they kiss, it was just like I could hear the hallelujah chorus. For some reason, I hadn't really seen it coming, but once it happened, I was unspeakably happy (although looking back, I should have seen it coming, there were lots of things leading up to it).

2) SIRIUS BLACK DIED
Oddly enough, I think I remember this getting more "freaking" than Dumbledore's death did. Probably because it was the first major/likeable character's death in the series. I remember reading the 5th book (it was the first one I read on my own without my mom reading it to me) and getting very into the intensity of the battle at the ministry, then all of a sudden Sirius is dead. It was another one of those moments where I had to go back and read it again and again. Then I was crying, like actual tears were coming out of my eyes. How could JK Rowling do this!?!! He was like my favorite character and Harry's only family and he was awesome and, and... *cries* It was truly devastating and me, my friends, and fans didn't stop talking about it for weeks.

1) DISCOVERING THAT THE DISNEY "D" WAS NOT A "G"
I cannot pinpoint the exact moment I figured this out, but I think every child has this moment at some point in their life. It's just that "Ah-ha!" moment. But seriously, doesn't it look like a backwards "G"? I distinctly remember as a little kid, honest to goodness thinking it was actually a "G", even though I knew it said Disney. I even remember learning to read and I could read the rest of the word "isney", but I still thought that the first letter was a "G", but I just ignored it and thought it was some sort of weird pronunciation/spelling thing. I thought, for the longest time, that you spelled Disney "Gisney", but still pronounced it "Disney". I don't remember the moment when I recognized the "D" within the "G", but I think I was older, after I knew how to read.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! These are great moments. Glad you wrote them down. Interesting that so many of them have to do with Harry Potter.

    ReplyDelete