But, are you aware that the fandoms surrounding those movies/TV shows also have theme songs?
Yeah. We do. At least some of them. Well actually, I refer to them as anthems.
A fandom can get an anthem in any way, but most often from a video (as you will see from my examples below) and most of them are completely ridiculous. But that's the joy of being in a fandom. Just watching the show is half the fun. Seeing other people freaking out and sharing their opinions and being creative, silly, etc. creates all kinds of inside jokes for your fandom. The Sherlockians (BBC's Sherlock fandom) are famous for this. They border on actual insanity (I am not joking).
Anyways, I'm just going to share a couple of examples of the anthems from my fandoms here and the backstory (if I know it).
WHOVIANS
Fandom: Doctor Who
Anthem: 500 Miles by The Proclaimers
Ah, I remember the day we got our anthem. Well, not the exact date, but I remember it happening. It all started with a video. Apparently after Season 4 wrapped up, the entire cast and crew made a video to the 500 Miles song. However, they didn't release this video to the public until after Season 6 had aired. So all those actors and a lot of that crew in the video had left the show by that point, so the fandom was very excited by it. So much so, that the song eventually became our anthem and every new Whovian has to watch that video at some point.
SHERLOCKIANS
Fandom: Sherlock
Anthem: Moves Like Jagger by Maroon 5
I'm not entirely sure where this originated from. I know what you're thinking, "Moves Like Jagger? Wut?". I told you, the Sherlockians are pretty much insane... I should post about them later. That'll be an entertaining subject XD. Anyways, I joined the fandom rather late and there was SOOOO much to catch up on in there joke-wise. I think that the song was originally on a YouTube video that someone made in the Sherlock fandom's very early stages. It repeated funny movements that the characters made over and over so that it looked like they were dancing with the song Moves Like Jagger over it. I have actually seen the video, but I don't know if that's where the anthem actually originated.
This isn't the original video. This is just a random Sherlock video I found to the song that kind of gives the gist of the original video. (I couldn't find the original ANYWHERE).
MERLIKNIGHTS
Fandom: Merlin
Anthem: You're the Voice by John Farnham
I know where this one came from for sure. The two stars of the show, Bradley James and Colin Morgan (Arthur and Merlin respectively) filmed themselves lip-synching to You're the Voice in numerous locations. The footage was included on the Merlin special features. It is hilarious. Like the 500 Miles video to the Whovians, every Merliknight has to watch this video at some point.
POTTERHEADS
Fandom: Harry Potter
Anthem: Harry Potter in 99 Seconds by Paint
I'm pretty sure that song is right. Basically all Potterheads know it and I did my research whilst looking up the anthems for each fandom and more than one source claimed it was so. It's a fan-written song summing up all the Harry Potter books in 99 seconds to the tune of Harry Potter melodies.
SUPERNATURALISTS
Fandom: Supernatural
Anthem: Carry On My Wayward Son by Kansas
I don't watch Supernatural, but I spend enough time around Supernaturalists to know what their anthem is and to know that they get intense feels whenever they sing it. So I know it's significant to their show somehow. I do not know where it originates from though, so sorry.
I'm going to have to check into some of those theme songs for the shows i watch. ha!
ReplyDelete