I could have done top funniest movies all around, but then the more subtle humor in some movies like the ones on my list here just wouldn't get appreciated. In comedy movies, the comedy is glaringly loud and always there, and while that's great and I love it, sometimes you gotta sit back and appreciate the humor thrown into other films too.
#5 Pirates of the Caribbean
Let's all be honest here, these movies would never float without Captain Jack Sparrow. That's why the fourth film was all about him! (And they're making a fifth film??? Whyyyy????) But really, he is the funniest part of the movie (among other things). With his weird personality, drunken walk, I-don't-care attitude, outrageous but clever plans, self centered and selfishness, slurred talking, smugness, the way he interacts with other characters, how dishonest and deceitful he is yet you still always trust him, etc. He just makes the movie. Of course other characters get a laugh sometimes too, but it's all about Captain Jack.
#4 Tangled
Kids' films are hard because they always have to have comedy in them to keep the kids' attention. So it's kind of hard to determine exactly what genre a kids' film is (I mean they have their own genre as "kids'"). But some, I think are more comedy, and some are more dramatic, and some are more adventure, etc. This one is a very good balance of everything, I think. But the comedy is spot on! Maximus the horse is hilarious! The one-liners! The slapstick! It's all brilliant!
#3 Ever After
I recently rewatched this movie and I had forgotten how funny it actually is. With classic moments like "there was a bee", or the sobbing princess at the wedding, or Jacqueline and the captain exchanging flirtations across the table in their horse masks, or "I shall simply deny you the crown and… live forever!".
#2 Pride and Prejudice (1995)
My mom and I quote this one often, mostly for comedic situations. Because in all honesty, it's actually quite a funny movie/book. Most people don't give it a chance because it's a period romance and who likes those? Ew! *eye roll* Seriously though, this one is great and totally hilarious! Especially this adaption. With Mrs. Bennet's dramatic wailing, or "shelves in the closet, happy thought indeed", or Mr. Collins… just Mr. Collins, or Mr. Darcy's dry sarcasm, or Mr. Bennet's cool humor. I love it all! XD
#1 Charade
I might be cheating a little on this one because honestly I have no idea what genre this movie is. Maybe mystery/comedy/thriller/romance? I have no idea. I think it's mostly a thriller and not mainly a comedy, so it can be in this countdown. And my number one no less! The writing. The WRITING! There's too many quotes! It's hard to pick a favorite! "You fell for it like an egg from a tall chicken!", or "You're blocking my view" "Which view do you prefer?" "The one you're blocking.", or "How do you shave in there?", or "You greenhorn!", or "You won't be able to lie on your back for a couple days. But then you can lie from any position, can't you?".





Well played, well played. I guess it's time to watch Pride and Prejudice again.
ReplyDelete