I've just been in this list-making zone lately.
There's mainly two types of villains in stories: serious and comedic. Of course, they can always be a bit of both, but generally they tend to lean a little towards one or the other. Villains are often one of, if not my favorite aspect in any story. Their motivations, their outfits, their backstories, all of it intrigues me. And whether they're a comedic or a serious villain, I still enjoy one just as much as the other.
However, we are focusing on the comedic aspect in this post.
I love laughing. As much as I appreciate and enjoy the serious and artistic side of things, nothing can beat a good old comedy sometimes. Even with a movie that is not necessarily a comedy, just a small moment that gets a giggle out of me… those are the moments I live for. The villains in these movies/books/TV shows are the best! In comedies, everything is exaggerated and over the top, so of course, the villain is the most over the top.
What I really appreciate though are the movies that are not exactly comedies, but they decide to make the villain the most humorous character. Humorous does not always mean stupid or weak, but just… funny and/or enjoyable (though occasionally it does mean stupid or weak as proven by my list, but sometimes that's the point).
Anyways, my top 10 comedic villains (in no particular order):
Hades from Disney's Hercules
Well of course he is on my list. He is often one of the first guys to pop into people's heads when you think "funny villain". And why not? With that mouth that moves at the speed of light, spurting out jokes and insults faster than you can hear them. And the way he can just blow his top at any moment, literally exploding with rage. It's hilarious!
Did you know that when he was originally written, he was supposed to be a much more ominous, menacing villain? Even all the way through final drafts, that was his character. But then James Woods came and auditioned, he put a whole new spin on the character and the writers loved it. They even rewrote a large majority of his lines to make them funnier and wittier just for him.
Dark Helmet from Spaceballs
Our first villain from an actual comedy. Naturally, everything in this film is hilarious, being a comedy and all, but I think Dark Helmet might be the best part. Spaceballs (if you don't know) is a spoof on all major space/sci-fi films and TV shows, mostly Star Wars, and Dark Helmet is the characterization of Darth Vader. Darth Vader is originally this large, ominous villain with a threatening presence and a deep, murderous voice. So replacing that with tiny Rick Moranis in a giant helmet is flat out hilarious! The way he screams and whines, and still manages to be intimidating to his crew somehow. The comedy of it is that you wonder how someone like that ever gained so much power.
Megamind from Megamind
This movie is ingenious! If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it. Don't be put off because it's animated, it is actually quite good. It asks the question: "What would happen if the villain actually won?". Megamind is labeled as a "bad guy", but does that make him a bad guy? But that's off topic…
He is a supervillain and he is totally hilarious! He's given so many character quirks. The way he mispronounces everything "shool" or "melONcholy". His understatements, "we're having the walls and ceilings removed". And so much more. The movie itself is filled with unforgettable quotes and they all revolve around the main character.
Dr. Drakken from Kim Possible
The best TV show from my childhood, hands down! Dr. Drakken was the main antagonist (though there were many). A mad scientist with crazy and elaborate schemes. He could build anything, invent anything! The thing that made him rather comedic was that his schemes were usually too elaborate or too outrageous. For example, he decides he's going to take over the world using brainwashing shampoo, but is unable to sell it on account that he markets it with his face on it and the label "lather, rinse, and obey". So he decides he's going to make people want to buy it by writing a song, since people will buy anything with an awesome song attached to it (he ends up rapping XD). He's also very bumbling and clumsy, usually having his sarcastic sidekick, Shego, do the physical work. He's like a child with too big a brain, and it's totally hilarious!
Joker from Batman
If you know me, you know this is actually my favorite villain of all time. (I might have to do a separate blog post for him sometime.)
Alright, this character is a little more complicated than a flat-out "funny" villain. It sort of depends on what version you're talking about too. Some versions are more funny than others. The most popular idea of the Joker is that he is a clownish, murderous, psychopath with a sense of humor. While I do enjoy the dark side of him (not because he's hurting people, just for the poetry of it and diving into his psyche), I love his comedic side. I love his banter with Batman. He is actually quite witty and very smart, even if it sometimes translates into wild laughter and insane schemes. Batman once said of him, "the Joker's plans make no sense to anybody, but himself". I think that about sums him up.
Captain Hook from Hook
Although the Hook from Disney's Peter Pan is also very funny, I've decided to concentrate on this version. I remember watching this movie as a kid and it sort of freaked me out. It didn't scare me per say, but I didn't really like it. Hook in particular was a bit unsettling for me as a child. So I suppose, the movie did its job. Captain Hook is not supposed to be loved by kids.
Watching it now, I adore this flick! It's whimsical, it's fun, it's adventurous, and most of all, hecka funny! Dustin Hoffman steals the show as Captain James Hook. His stupid laugh, his outrageous wig, that ridiculous outfit, "I hate I hate I HATE Peter Pan!".
Mr. Crocker from Fairly Odd Parents
It's been so long since I've watched this show, but I do remember this guy. He's the teacher who was always trying to steal Timmy's fairy god parents. In the show, adults are unaware of the existence of fairy god parents because once they hit a certain age, their beliefs sort of… disappear. Like Santa Clause and stuff. However, Mr. Crocker once had fairy god parents, but they were ferociously taken away from him at an early age and he was unable to be fully brain wiped. So he became obsessed with proving their existence.
This show is so bizarrely awesome and Crocker is no exception. I will always remember him spazzing out every time he says "Fairy! God! Parents!". He's so obsessed with proving that Timmy has fairies, but what makes him funny is that he's SO obsessed with it. What he goes through… I'm surprised he never got arrested over the years (actually, I think he might've. I can't remember). Also, it's hilarious how he'll be deducing that something might have been conjured by fairies, but looking at all the wrong clues. (ex: a giant birthday bash with a famous band present. He gets suspicious not because of the band, but because the icing on the cake is homemade. "Nobody makes homemade frosting anymore. This must be the work of… Fairy! God! Parents!")
Deadpool from 'Marvel Comics'
Sometimes a hero, sometimes a villain, sometimes both. Deadpool is unpredictable. What you can predict though is that he will always be hilarious! "The Merc with a Mouth", this guy always has something to say. Whether it be insults, commentary on the situation, breaking the fourth wall to point out something to the audience, a compliment, a complaint, anything! And it drives people crazy. As I said, he breaks the fourth wall to speak to the audience, just to comment the situation. He is famous for that. He does it a lot, and it's pretty funny.
He has a healing factor that basically makes him immortal, he's also a bit lose in the head (look up his background for the full story), so he just goes out and does whatever he wants, not caring. He loses a limb, doesn't matter, he'll get another one. Shot? Who cares! So he can get into the most ridiculous of situations and then handle them in even more ridiculous ways.
Ratigan from Disney's The Great Mouse Detective
Voiced by Vincent Price, you have to love him! I would not say he's a hilarious villain like a lot of the others on my list, but he is certainly enjoyable. I love how he just tip-toes around, so gleeful about everything he does, "I love it when I'm nasty!". The sophisticated villains are just as fun to watch as the psycho ones. His little giggles throughout his performance are what make it so enjoyable and funny. The way he hides his inner-monster, with it just bursting at the seams at some moments is both terrifying and sort of funny at the same time, "I'M NOT A RAT!!!".
Yzma from Disney's The Emperor's New Groove
This movie is gold from start to finish! Yzma fills her role perfectly as the evil advisor who wants to take over the throne by any means necessary. "Scary beyond all reason" and "living proof that dinosaurs once roamed the earth", she has quite the design too. What is really funny though are her scenes with her sidekick, Kronk, and the way they play off each other. The crazy, power-hungry old woman with a friendly, dim-witted boy scout. Everyone knows about her "secret lab" and it's two levers. And who could forget her plan to kill the emperor? "I'll turn him into a flea, a harmless little flea. Then, I'll put that flea in a box, then I'll put that box inside another box, then I'll mail that box to myself. And when it arrives… I'LL SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!!!"










No comments:
Post a Comment