But that's not my point. My point is that I've had to watch the 1982 film again. And by golly, Anthony Andrews just nails that role! I mean, I always thought that before, but after all my meticulous research and rereading... dang!
And the make-up and costumes! Amazing! Especially the Scarlet Pimpernel's disguises. They are SO good! It is so hard to tell that it's him. Of course a lot of that is attributed to the actor, because later in the scene he'll change his posture and voice, and you can clearly tell it's him. Props, Andrews, props.
That's all I'm posting this for. I just had to display this! For one thing, the idea of one man being able to sneak in and out of a guarded gate repeatedly in numerous disguises is so much fun. Then, of course, this movie's make-up and costumes as well as Anthony Andrew's brilliant acting!
Because he is actually the Scarlet Pimpernel:
A noble, clever, daring adventurer with ridiculously sharp wit who saves the lives of French aristocrats. And he thoroughly enjoys what he does and is super good at it. I mean, look at that smirk.
But he has many disguises, the main one as Sir Percy Blakeney in public life. A foppish, brainless idiot who cares only for trivial things such as how to properly tie a cravat. I love how the book describes him: "the sleepiest, dullest, most British Britisher that had ever sent a pretty woman yawning".
I mean, you can see the difference, right? The laziness, the stupidity in his face? Not quite as sharp. And that voice! The drawl! If you ever needed an example of a British accent, this is the most British voice I ever heard. "Sink meh!"
Then check these out:
This one's my favorite disguise, right at the beginning. Especially if you have no idea who Percy is and you're just like, "That's our hero?" only to be pleasantly surprised.
Then you can suddenly tell it's him when he changes his posture and (obviously) when he changes his voice.
Then this one as an old hag. I sometimes think this is the most obvious one. You can tell it's him more especially when he talks. It's not the voice, just something about his chin or something... But still! Not bad work.
And again when he drops the charade:
And the hunchback:
"Let that be a lesson to you, sir. Never take anyone for granted."
So here's a montage of all the disguises so that you can fully appreciate it. Seriously!
So major props to the costume and make-up department as well as a standing ovation to Anthony Andrews for one heck of a performance!
And if you haven't seen this movie, I highly, HIGHLY recommend it! The Scarlet Pimpernel (1982) starring Anthony Andrews, Jane Seymour, and Ian Mckellen. Go find it now!












No comments:
Post a Comment