Wednesday, May 15, 2019

Top 10 Looney Tunes Cartoons

Recently, I’ve been rewatching the old classic Looney Tunes cartoons. I grew up watching these thanks to my dad. As I watched them, I took a fun trip down memory lane and came across some of my old favorites. I decided to make a list of my top 10 favorite shots. Now, keep in mind, these are my personal top 10, they’re not exactly the most famous or the highest quality. I also tried my best to have a variety (because there’s no doubt that the Bugs Bunny ones really tickle my fancy). Anyways, on we go. My top 10 Looney Tunes episodes:

10) Plop Goes the Weasel
Foghorn Leghorn 
The dog is in charge of guarding the chicken coop and Foghorn is tormenting him as usual by letting loose all the chicks. A weasel shows up and starts trying to steal the chicks. Foghorn teams up with the weasel to try and torment the dog further.
I love the stupid weasel and his slobbering. Also the visual gags are great. Usually I appreciate Foghorn Leghorn cartoons the most because of the jokes made through Foghorn's talking. However, the physical comedy in this one is on point.

9) Room and Bird
Sylvester and Tweety
Sylvester and Tweety are smuggled by their owners into a hotel that doesn’t allow pets. They engage in a chase throughout the hotel while simultaneously trying to avoid the hotel manager.
This one cracks me up on a number of levels. It’s got the usual Sylvester vs. Tweety chase, but I love how they will suddenly become allies to avoid the manager. I especially love the Scooby Doo-like door scene. 

8) For Scent-imental Reasons
Pepe le Pew
A perfume shop owner comes across Pepe le Pew in his store and sends a black cat in to try and get rid of him. The usual shenanigans ensue where the cat’s back is accidentally dyed white and Pepe falls madly in love, engaging in a store-wide chase. 
There’s not a whole lot about this cartoon that makes it stand out from other Pepe le Pew cartoons; the formula is the same. However, it does have a funny little twist at the end and also I think just a lot of Pepe’s lines are so much funnier than they sometimes are as he tries to woo the cat.

7) Scaredy Cat
Porky Pig and Sylvester
Porky and his cat, Sylvester, move into a new home. Sylvester is terrified of the obviously spooky house while Porky is content with the place. Sylvester’s worrying is not in vain though when he discovers the mouse inhabitants are trying to murder them.
This is an especially dark episode, but it never ceases to be funny in the way Porky reacts to Sylvester’s crazy antics.

6) A Fractured Leghorn
Foghorn Leghorn
A cat is trying to catch some fish, cut can’t do so without a worm on the hook. He soon finds himself competing with Foghorn to catch a worm.
I love this one so much because Foghorn just does NOT stop talking. I also love how it ends; the cat’s one line is the perfect punchline to the joke being set up through the episode.

5) Knighty Knight Bugs
Bugs Bunny
In King Arthur’s court, the knights find that the king’s prized possession, the Singing Sword, has been stolen by the Black Knight. They are terrified to go after it because the Black Knight has a fire breathing dragon. The king ultimately sends his jester, Bugs Bunny, after the sword.
Yosemite Sam is one of my favorite Bugs Bunny antagonists-- his short temper and constant yelling. I love him and the dragon. It was a stroke of genius to give the dragon a cold.

4) Hillbilly Hare
Bugs Bunny
While vacationing in the Ozarks, Bugs is accosted by two hillbilly brothers. Bugs ultimately tricks them into a brutal square dance.
Most of the episode is sort of average, but the square dance at the end is the real winner. It is pure genius and so funny!

3) My Bunny Lies Over the Sea
After taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque  Bugs ends up in Scotland and runs into a highlander who challenges him to a game of golf.
“Ya rrrruined ma pipes-ah!” I love Bugs always getting the one-up on the cranky antagonists. This golf game is too hilarious.

2) Bully for Bugs
Bugs Bunny
After taking a wrong turn at Albuquerque, Bugs finds himself right in the center of a bullfighting ring up against a very angry bull.
The bull in this is too funny! Even though he doesn't talk, the physical comedy is spot on.


HONORABLE MENTIONS:
Rabbit of Seville

A-Lad-In His Lamp

Rabbitson Crusoe

Long-Haired Hare

Feed the Kitty


1) High-Diving Hare
Bugs is the host of a variety show with Fearless Freep as a high diver. Yosemite Sam eagerly awaits Fearless Freep’s act, but when Freep is unable to make it, Sam forces Bugs to make the dive.
This cartoon is one of the first Looney Tunes I ever saw and it was so funny (so I guess it has a special place in my heart). I just thought it was so funny how Bugs always managed to get Sam to go off the diving board and yet Sam was stubborn and stupid enough to keep trying to get Bugs to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment