I am by no means a psychologist so don't think that if there are any analyzations, they are medically proven (or whatever you call it) because they aren't. I have an extremely strange subconscious, so I thought I would write about it.
DREAMS
I have had some of the strangest dreams in the history of mankind. I will focus on one that I'm sure every human being I know (and possibly non-humans as well) has heard. The Indiana Jones dream. I will try to describe it as best I can. (This was in 8th grade)
It starts with me swimming in some sort of lagoon. There's a river on one side and a giant waterfall on the other. I somehow got stuck in the river current and began floating down it. Despite the gentle current, I panicked and desperately searched for something to grab on to. I saw a giant bread crust the size of a queen size bed floating in the water. I quickly grabbed onto it and proceeded down the river. After drifting for a while, I began wondering how I would get out of this situation and get back to the lagoon when all of a sudden Indiana Jones jumped from a tree hanging over the river and landed on the bread crust with me. He told me not to to worry and began to treat the bread crust as a sailboat. Eventually we saw an old rundown jeep abandoned on the river bank. Indy jumped off the bread crust and hopped into the jeep. He somehow started it up and drove it into the water where it became a sort of boat-jeep thing. He steered it next to me and I got in. As soon as I was in, he sped off down the river. He wouldn't answer me when I asked where we were going. Soon, I saw the waterfall ahead. Indy sped up to top speed and we went sailing out over the waterfall. We both jumped out the windows and landed in the lagoon where the dream had started.
Note: I had never seen any Indiana Jones movies when I had this dream.
SEIZURES
I really have no memory of my thoughts right after my seizures. I'll try to blend all accounts of the stories as best I can.
Afton woke up to me spazing out on the floor. My parents called 911 and an ambulance showed up. I vaguely remember someone trying to help me to my feet. I don't recall being aware that it was strange that I was lying on the floor. It seemed completely natural. I also knew that this man helping me to my feet was not Dad, but I still responded to him like he were Dad. The man asked for my hand. Thinking he was pointing out a problem with the basketball shorts that I was wearing (maybe a modesty issue or something) I began tugging on the strings. I was so baffled as to why he would be asking me to adjust my shorts. I was also wondering why I couldn't reach out and touch his hand, not realizing that I would have to let go of the strings in order to touch his hand. Apparently this man and another... ambulance guy helped me onto a chair and carried my down the stairs on that. I still had not realized that this was not a usual routine for me. In the ambulance, the dark haired guy, (who I still thought was Dad even though I knew it wasn't) began asking me questions.
-"What's your name?"
--That's a stupid question. "Kelsi"
-"How old are you?"
--What, do you think I'm 60 or something? "15."
-"What's the date?"
--What's a date? Oh no! I can't answer the question if I don't know what a date is. Oh yeah a DATE! Wait. I don't keep track of that in the summer. I can't answer the question! Oh no, he'll think I'm stupid or something. "..."
-"That's OK, you don't have to know that."
--Oh OK
Then later in the hospital, at some point when I was half awake, Mom asked "Do you know what happened?"
I thought hard for a moment. I still had not realized that being in a hospital meant there was something seriously wrong with me. I remembered being on the floor, but other than that I couldn't remember anything out of the ordinary so I guessed, "I fell out of bed?"
"No. You had a seizure."
"Oh I know all about seizures! I had to write a report on seizures-- no, I mean epilepsy-- in Health. I know ALL ABOUT seizures..." I continued on for who knows how long.
I remember I woke up at one point, lying on my stomach on top of my arm. I became aware of something jabbing into my arm and proved to be extremely uncomfortable. I eventually figured out that I needed to turn over in order to look at my arm. I looked and saw the IV in my arm along with blood flowing through the tube connected to it. Apparently my subconscious could care less about needles and blood (unlike my usual self) because I was not disturbed my this newfound information in the slightest. I was just trying to figure out why they would put that on me.
ANESTHESIA
I got my wisdom teeth out a before going to BYU-I. This was my first time being knocked out by way of anesthesia (as it was my first surgery).
I sat in the dentist's chair and waited as he put the mask over my nose. As the gas began to take affect on me, I was determined to not fall asleep. I remember the oral surgeon telling me that he was putting the IV in Since I was not unconscious yet, I began a mental freakout about needles. He put it in and that's when the gas really started to overtake me. I don't even remember getting drowsy, but I do remember Mom kissing my head and telling me that she was leaving. That's the last thing I remember before waking up and seeing the room completely empty. I was confused as to why there were giant soft things stuffed in my mouth. They made it hard to swallow. I looked at the clock and saw that it was 11:00. Didn't my appointment start at 9:15? I began calling for Mom when I saw that the IV was still in my arm. (All previous assumptions that my subconscious is not disturbed by needles or blood have been dissolved.) I was still in the surgical chair. Apparently I was so out of it that they couldn't rouse me enough to move me to the recovery room, so they just left me there. Eventually my mom did come and pick me up. I didn't have any ridiculous behavior like a lot of people do. I just wanted to sleep.
The subconscious is a weird thing...
ReplyDelete