As most of you are aware, I'm an avid home movie maker (or at least I was when I still had a video camera and a green screen). When I first started out, I was just lip-synching in front of a camera, maybe while wearing a silly hat or something. Over the years, I began to get more creative and elaborate (certainly not professional by far, but still). This included costumes and makeup. Like I said, I am by no means professional, it’s still very silly and homemade. However, I have stepped up my game since the old days.
I try to differentiate my characters and dress them according to how they sound, act, and to the setting and time period. More often than not, I play a man so I always have to figure out how to make myself more masculine. I never quite succeed at that (my face is just too feminine), but I do always have to put my hair up and/or draw on facial hair. I have played dogs, bears, sailors, angels, psychopaths, and more.
I’ve loved and hated some of my costumes of all the characters over the years. I usually put more of an effort into the main characters and will just wear something generic for the background ones. However, sometimes my costumes will just not work out very well. I am very limited in my choices and sometimes I have to play the same type of character over and over again. But then, sometimes I get some really good ones.
I’m just here to show you some of my favorite costumes I’ve come up with over the years. The top 6 to be exact (why top 6? Because I wanted to go one step beyond).
So here we go:
6) Mr. Lunt from His Cheeseburger
All I knew when I was putting this outfit together was it needed to have pink in it. Unfortunately, literally the only pink thing I had was a T-shirt from Girls’ Camp a few years earlier. I made it work. I turned it inside out, found a jacket and some pants to make it look a little more dapper. It is a love song after all. As I was in the bathroom putting up my hair (since I would be playing a guy), I found a giant pink flower hair pin. It was perfect! I pinned it to my jacket and voila! The ensemble was complete! I also love how my hair sort of flips about, boy band-style.
5) Mr. Lunt from Donuts for Benny
Again with Mr. Lunt. I think I just like the colors of this outfit. Also how toasty it all looks. The beanie, the scarf, the giant sweater. It looks great against the snowy back drop. Also my bangs look real nice (if I do say so myself). I think it just stands out to me because of the contrast next to my mangy dog character sitting next to this character.
4) British Larry from Kilts and Stilts
I took great care with every single one of my costumes for this video. I’m particularly fond of this one though. I didn’t have a very good “kilt”, it’s just a blue skirt I had, but you’re not really focusing on that because of everything else happening in the frame. The T-shirt is awesome! I love British things! Then of course my Doctor Who beanie. You can’t really tell what it is while watching the video, but I thought it was a nice touch.
3) The Devil from The Devil Went Down to Georgia
We had this enormous red velvet cape for the longest time and when I was planning out this video, I knew I had to use it for the Devil. However, I didn’t want to make him all red, because black is the dark and evil color. As I was searching for black clothes, I decided to make him a business man, because in the song, he’s making a deal (as the Devil is known to do). So I dressed in all black business wear. Then, as I was looking through our costume closet, I found the black fedora. I thought it was absolutely perfect. It just made him all the more sly and scheming looking. Then the Devil is famous for the goatee, so I drew that, as well as a twirly mustache and pointy eyebrows. Once I was finished, I was actually more impressed than I thought I would be with the full ensemble.
2) Elle from Chip On My Shoulder
Alright, this is cheating a little bit, but I can’t really choose a favorite of her outfits, I just loved them all. I put great care into each of them. They had to be very stylish, pink, and perfect. Basically each piece of clothing belonged to my mom because as I said above, I don’t own anything pink. I think the jeans, the white shirt, the black tights, and the pink skirt at the beginning (from a previous costume) were mine. When I began planning out this video, I ordered a blonde wig for myself. Because really, you cannot have Legally Blonde without being blonde. Also I discovered (against my previous beliefs), I actually don’t look that bad as a blonde. I put tremendous care into my makeup as well. It had to be ON POINT! This character is a sorority girl after all. I winged my eyeliner, I had on foundation, blush, mascara, eyeshadow, lipstick, the whole ensemble. And it had to be completely perfected.
1) Jonah from The Great Deep Blue
There’s just something about this look that I really like. I didn’t really do any of it on purpose. I sort of threw it together and it turned out awesome. I had crimped my hair the previous day so it was still a bit wavy when I started filming. I really liked how it looked when I tied it back. I didn’t pin it against my head like I normally do when I'm playing a guy, but kept it in a ponytail, so I looked like a guy with longer hair. And that crimped hair sort of gave it a tousled hair feel. Then I decided to give myself a 5:00 shadow. Ha! I have no idea why! It was the first time I'd ever done it. I had drawn beards and mustaches before, but this was the first time I attempted stubble. And I loved the effect! Then the outfit was just some stuff I threw together. Admittedly, I decided on the vest because it looked similar to the one he wears in the movie, and then I randomly chose a shirt that matched. And the touch with the bracelet... I don’t usually go that far as to choosing excess props and jewelry. I’m too lazy. However, for some reason, I did this time, and it turned out perfect. Then the giant bags that I carry only add to it, I especially love that the messenger bag that I'm holding throughout the entire thing happens to match my outfit. It’s just all awesome!







No comments:
Post a Comment