First off, I just want to say that I did enjoy this movie, just not IMMENSELY. It was a good flick, but it was not AH-MAZ-ING! My roommate pointed out that it was probably because I had such high expectations for it, but in all honesty, I didn't really know what to expect. I stayed away from all details about it as much as possible. I only watched the trailers and that was it. I just expected an awesome action movie with two amazing superheroes. But then I got... Well, let me break it down.
EXPECTATION: Awesome action and boss fight scenes.
REALITY: Mediocre action.
For the first half of it, there was hardly any action at all and when we finally got to the action, I admit, I was kind of disappointed. It was not boring, for sure, but I do think it could have been kicked up a notch.
Of course, the whole build up was to the fight between Batman and Superman. And their fight was... fairly decent. The thing was that it was not the most interesting in the movie. In fairness, it was a difficult fight to pull off. I mean, they had to pull Superman down to Batman's level (I was always saying this before! There was no way that Batman was ever a match for Superman! But I digress...). Then, with the setup the movie gave us, it could not be too long of a fight so... yes. I do give them props for what was done.
The two action sequences that stuck out to me were the car chase scene and the raid on the house where (someone) was being held hostage. Both involved Batman and they were pretty awesome. They were the highlights of the movie for me, they were so boss!
EXPECTION: Interesting story.
REALITY: Slow paced, complicated.
For real though, the first probably half of it is all explaining and build up. They jammed an awful lot of things into one movie. I mean, I get it, there are two universes colliding here, but one thing I've learned in my English classes is about "cutting clutter" to make it "clear and concise". I know, sometimes you really want to put something in there because it's just so good, but sometimes you have to cut it out because it's unnecessary, doesn't flow, and/or makes it too long. Thus was the case for Batman vs. Superman. There were a ton of subplots going on. I think DC is trying to set up other movies. They're trying to catch up with Marvel. But the thing with Marvel is that they spanned their movies over lots of time and different movies, they didn't introduce them all in one.
Anyways, as to the story itself, it did have a pretty decent setup, I thought. There just was a lot of talking about it. Like, for crying out loud, get to the action already!
And one more criticism: There were some definite "what the freak is happening???" moments. There were some really bizarre moments which I'm not sure added to the story at all.
EXPECTATION: A great villain.
REALITY: A fantastic villain!
I've said before that usually it's the villain that makes the story for me. If you can pull off a great villain, it can save everything else, because they are the source of the conflict (and the conflict is the reason the story is interesting).
I knew who the villain was going to be before going to see it, so I did have high hopes. He's the most famous Superman villain, his greatest nemesis. But I only saw a couple glimpses of him in the trailer (and I recognized him, yes thank you), but that was the extent of my knowledge. I didn't know how he was going to be portrayed. I was not disappointed though. He was so great! I don't want to give anything away, but the performance was so spot on, his plan (though there was a gaping loophole) was completely nuts. Those I went to see the movie with said they were confused about his motivation, but I pointed out that I think he was just one of those villains who was evil just for the sake of being evil. And you rarely see that. I really enjoyed it.
Now, I know you're all wondering... how was Ben Affleck as Batman? Surprisingly, he pulled it off really well. You'll be surprised how well he integrated himself into the role. I really believed him as Bruce Wayne and Batman.
Then as for Henry Cavill as Superman... well, he IS Superman. As for Clark Kent, well, they don't really try to make him a bumbling idiot so I really don't see how nobody figures out his secret identity. (Actually, there's this really hilarious moment where Perry White's reading the Daily Planet and on the front page it's about something that happened to to Superman, then he flips the page and there's a smaller article about the same thing that happened to Clark Kent. It is literally the most hilarious thing. Like, they don't figure it out? There's pictures and everything of them).
The last thing that annoyed me was how much of a damsel in distress they turned Lois into. Pretty much all she was there for was for Superman to rescue her. She contributed nothing to the story other than that. Whyyyy????? Don't turn her into another Mary Jane! She was so awesome in Man of Steel, she did things, she helped out! Why downgrade her? I'm just contributing it to the fact that the plot was already jammed full of stuff, but still. Anyways...
So, you know what? I did enjoy it. It was not the most amazing movie I had ever seen, but it was pretty fun. It had its highs and lows, and it's highs were definitely highs. I'd say it was maybe a 7/10.

No comments:
Post a Comment