Saturday, March 5, 2016

Zootopia: A Review (spoiler free)

So, the latest Disney movie just came out: Zootopia. As a Disnerd, I feel compelled to talk about it.
What is this latest flick about? Well, for those of you who might not know, here's the general idea:
It takes place in a world where animals have evolved past their traditional predator/prey relationship and have formed a fully functioning society where "anybody can be anything". The plot centers around a bunny, Judy Hopps, who becomes the first bunny police officer as she tries to prove her worth on the force. She is put on a missing person's (or otter's) case and is forced to work with her natural enemy, a fox, who is a key witness, in order to find him.

So what did I think of this film?

Well, first off, I have to say that going in, I was excited, but not that excited. I had been looking forward to seeing it for a while, but mostly because it was Disney. I thought it looked kind of cute, but I was not expecting anything huge. I thought there'd be some clever jokes, pop culture references in animal form, and just a cute little story line. I really thought this was going to be more geared towards the kids. Like, "Ooh! Look at the talking bunny! Aw, how sweet!". Nothing too special.

Boy, was I wrong!

I was blown away with how amazing this film was! I honestly think this might be one of my new favorite Disney movies, I'm not even kidding.

The jokes! Ha-LAR-ious! I could not stop laughing! I think I laughed at every single one, and hard. The sloths in the DMV, the yoga scene... I was dying! Yes, there were some pop culture references in animal form and obvious product placement, but you know what? I'm gonna let it slide because everything else was so perfect! And some of it was pretty funny so...

The plot was not super cutsie and light like I thought it would be. It got pretty intense and heavy, almost intricate. It was a legitimate mystery with twists and turns. I thought I knew who did it... nope not them. THEN I thought I had it figured out. Nope, that either. It did a surprisingly good job of keeping you on your toes. (But not too much, I mean, it is still a family flick.) But that climax... I was covering my face, it was so intense!

The action was pretty fun. There wasn't a ton, but when there was, I thoroughly enjoyed it. It was well animated and believable.

Wow, those emotional scenes though. I haven't legitimately cried in a movie in a while. I talk about it and exaggerate it all the time, but I have not actually done it in a long time. Then this movie got me... twice. Nick's back story, holy cow! That hit me hard! There were some other moments that were surprisingly deep and hard-hitting, especially for a kids' film.

Then, of course, the moral. What do you take away from it? Like everything else, it surprised me, and took a different turn than I expected. Yes, it had the obvious message of "follow your dream, you can do anything you set your mind to", but it was done super well. Even though this message is sort of old hat especially in Disney movies, I was pumping my fists for this poor bunny, and by the end I did feel empowered.
But then, there was another message about coexisting and accepting each other. It wasn't terribly hashed out and overkilled like it could have been (since that message is a big deal nowadays). It was dealt with very maturely and in a dignified manner. It actually showed both sides of the stick getting abused which you don't usually see. I loved it! That's how it should be!

There were a couple obvious cliches, but they were handled well, I thought. That and the product placement are pretty much my only negative criticisms. The voice acting was spot on, the animation was beautiful and flawless, and the music was amazing.

I was actually grinning all the way through the credits and walked out of the theater still smiling, with a spring in my step. I can't remember that ever happening to me before. This movie made me so happy! 9.8/10! I highly, highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment